In Indianapolis, Indiana, DUI, DWI, OWI, and OVI all refer to the same thing – drunk driving. If you are arrested and charged in Indianapolis with a DUI, you will have issues with the law that require effective and professional legal representation.
An experienced Indianapolis DUI attorneys at Suhre & Associates, LLC will examine the charges against you and develop a strategy to minimize the possible consequences you’ll face.
First-Time DUI Conviction Penalties in Indiana
Any driver that is stopped and arrested for DUI for the first time may face:
- A license suspension ranging from 180 days to one year (if you refused a chemical test, for example)
- Fines up to $500 if your BAC level was between 0.08 and 0.15
- Fines up to $5,000 if your BAC level was at least 0.15
- Jail time between 60 days to one year, depending on your BAC and other factors
- Community service
- Required alcohol and/or drug assessment and treatment
- Installation of an ignition interlock device if you’re granted limited driving privileges
You may also be eligible for probation in some cases.
Penalties for Repeat DUI Offenders in Indianapolis, IN
For repeat DUI offenders, you can face many of the same penalties, except they are harsher; for example:
- Someone with a prior OWI conviction in the last seven years is guilty of a Level 6 felony – which carries 6 months to 2.5 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine
- Someone who has a prior OWI conviction that caused serious bodily injury or death is guilty of a Level 5 felony – which carries one to six years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine
- If you refuse a chemical test, your driver’s license can be suspended for up to two years
These are the court-ordered penalties you could face if you are found guilty of a DUI, not to mention the other potential collateral consequences, such as losing your job.
Driving Privileges and License Suspension After a DUI in Indiana
One of the most important aspects for our clients after a DUI arrest is being able to drive as soon as possible. In Indianapolis, your license will be suspended once you are arrested for DUI.
In order to get you back on the road, our Indianapolis criminal defense attorneys will ask the following of the judge:
- Request a hearing to challenge the initial license suspension you will receive for either failing or refusing a chemical test; or
- Request a Hardship License, which will allow you to drive for work or educational purposes, as well as for medical and/or court-ordered treatment.
What the judge decides to do depends on the facts of your case and what happened at the time of your arrest.
If you have never been previously arrested for DUI and were cooperative with the arresting officer, chances are good you will be eligible for a Hardship License. If you have prior DUI convictions and were combative or uncooperative during your arrest, we will have to use a more creative approach in order to obtain a Hardship License.
Contact an Indianapolis DUI Attorney for Help Minimizing Your Penalties
If you are facing DUI charges, do not hesitate to contact our experiences Indianapolis DUI attorneys at Suhre & Associates, LLC at (317) 759-2599